Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Unexpected Support!


Good News!

Wouldn't it be incredible to know that when you are planning to live in another country that you are not going to feel alone? That someone else is expecting your arrival and has been planning to help you with all possible problems? If your are considering studying in the USA, you are not going to feel forsaken. There are some people who will give you enough assistance to make you feel at home.

American universities have staff prepared to help and support students with their needs. A good example is the help that comes from the Resident Director and the R.A.s (Resident Advisor)in the dorms. They are full-time students trained in programs required by the universities,and their purpose is to assist students with general residential issues. However, the R.A.s go a little further. They get closer to students and become their first "family" is more than a job. For them, being an R.A. it is considered a real pleasure.

Based on my experiences and on those of the students I am in contact with, I decided to interview the R.D. from my dorm, Tiffany Selleck, and the R.A. Angela Eschbacher, because of the enormous impact their help has had on my college experience.

Q: Could you define the job that you have, and also do you enjoy being an R.D.?
T.S: I do. I like what we do. However, as we do behind-the-scenes stuff, like scheduling for the R.A.s and desk sitters, coming up with the house-keeping system, training the R.A.'s and things like that, R.A.s get to stay more in contact with the residents, talk to the residents and hang out with the residents. I sometimes do not get to do the fun stuff, and I miss that. I love to train the R.A.s because I remember when I was an R.A., and I am able to see how people can move upward, to be a leader in everything that you do.

Q: Can you see the importance this kind of job has in students' lives?
T.S: Sometimes we can see that. When we have certain situations, severe issues- depression, suicide or eating disorders- I communicate a lot with the counseling center responsible, and I say that I have this girl who has shown these signs. She is missing her classes, she is not eating and things like that. I get to tell them what is going on and the counselor gets to tell me what the issue might be. And when I get to see these girls, and I can see they are making progress, it is very rewarding. Also, we have a lot of international students here- half of the dorm is composed of international students. When they come here for the first time, they can hardly communicate; they are by themselves and fearful, so we are able to see and to help them.

Q: What can you tell us about being an R.A.?
A.E: I enjoy getting to know the girls and helping to make the dorm closer. I feel closer to the girls who come to me, and I cannot do much for the ones who do not come to me; however, I try to reach out as much as I can. I definitely care about what is going on here, especially the floor I live on, the basement, and how people are getting along more than I did when I was just a house keeper. Indeed, the majority of the basement and I hang out or at least talk to each other everyday.

After the interview, I can say it is really an arduous job and rewarding at the same time. It does require a special training program, and the person must fill the university requirements. Moreover, I believe that what they offer, the help and support they give to the students, are priceless.

TFreitas

2 comments:

  1. Interesting questions, Tamara! I did not know how hard these jobs were. I also did not know that RDs and RAs are here not just to help us with room issues but also with life issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they do help. That was really a surprise for me, and I hope this interview will help people who are considering to study in the U.S.A!

    ReplyDelete