Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Greetings from St. Charles!!!


Good evening everyone!!!

It is my fourth week in St. Charles since winter break and my second semester in the USA. I am really starting to enjoy my life, and my studying abroad has turned out to be amazing.


First, I have a single room now, which is awesome!!! I have my private space, and my individuality has been restored. I believe this is a result of considerable effort; everything comes at the right time. My dorm is great, and I love the American friends that I have met here. Everything is so close, so I do not have to walk all over campus.

Second, I am more confident and comfortable than I have ever been before. My English is showing signs of improvement. I feel more secure when talking to people, and I love practicing all over campus. Indeed, I am still learning, and that is a lifelong process. I try to communicate, and when the system fails (my brain works more slowly than my speech), I am not afraid to ask for some help.

Third, I am more adjusted to this life of being away from home, my family and my boyfriend. It demands some positive thinking, and with religion, especially God, I can do anything. I have had to learn to survive without them by my side, which has been the hardest thing for me so far, but I have to keep thinking about the advantages this experience will bring to me. All the suffering and struggling will be worth it in the near future- at least I hope so! Moreover, with technology lowering the barriers of distance, I can see my family everyday. The computer and the Internet are marvellous inventions that have also helped me a LOT!

On the other hand, I still struggle with American food. In the cafeteria we must use our deepest creativeness in order not to feel nauseated. Everyday must be seen as a different one when concerning food. Staying away from fries, hamburgers, sodas and deserts is a good start.

The solution is to stay focused on my studies and not to worry about the rest. Coming here was my choice, now I have to embrace it.

CARPE DIEM!!!

See you soon,
TFreitas.

No comments:

Post a Comment